Thursday, November 02, 2006

Silly Stuff

I cannot say enough nice things about The Center for the Arts in Homer, NY. It was incredible to see what they’ve done there since the place began only 15 months ago. They did an excellent job with the exhibit and my wife and I even got to see Richie Havens perform there. I did some ballpoint pen drawings of that I might post later.

Today, though, it's the silly stuff I'm putting up. I've been told by more than one illustrator friend that doing silly art diminishes the other more serious work I do. Poppycock! But I only say it because it's a silly word. My friends are probably right but if I didn't do the pure fun stuff I wouldn't have the energy to do the more serious paintings. Life and art needs balance.

These are Helioderms. Their skin conducts the sun's heat so well that the air inside a special belly envelope expands and gives them lift and allows them to float up very high. They have little spinning flippers for propulsion and can expel gas for a quick extra thrust if needed. They typically stay above the clouds as to always have sun on warming their epidermis. On cloudless days they fly low and poop on people they don't like. They have great memories (much like elephants) and keep a mental list of anyone they observe doing something mean to later dive bomb. Because of them the world is a better place.







Oh, what the hell, I'm including an on-site, done in the dark, drawing I did of Richie Havens strumming away. His left foot dances all by itself while he plays.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark Reep said...

Love the Helioderms, especially the Cloudaphant- so Big, so Aerodynamic :)
Any documented Flatulaphant sightings? :) ... Sorry :)

12:21 PM  
Blogger Tom Kidd said...

Good idea, I'll get to drawing it. I do wonder though, what such a creature would do to the ozone layer.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Great drawings - love the helioderms! You can sling a hammock between their tusks and have a great ride!!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Portsmouth Heights Bathroom Renovations said...

This iss a great post thanks

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home